An Update for the Readers of Despair to Deliverance

I’m not sure how many readers were still following our story when we last posted several months ago.  As I said in previous updates, both Robin and I had life events interfere with our ability to keep writing consistently.  We want to explain why we have continued to be out of commission and our plan to resume telling our story.

What our readers last knew was that my mother-in-law, Peaches, for whom I was caring, died in August 2014.  While it is true that my husband and I have been focused on grieving and adjusting to our new lives without Peaches, who we loved dearly, this is actually not the reason for my inability to keep blogging consistently.

I have been struggling with an unexpected medical condition that would be frustrating for anyone, but as a writer it is especially upsetting.  Typing, for me, has become very painful.  I seem to have developed a repetitive stress injury…tendonitis…in my elbow, which is aggravated specifically by writing or typing.  I am currently scheduled to begin physical therapy in order to address this issue.  I very much hope to be able to soon get back to writing consistently, without pain.

Robin continues to be very stable, and will also soon be working to resume the telling of our story.  She made a job change last summer, and then realized for many reasons she needed to return to her previous job.  The details of her job transitions are relevant to her ongoing stability and will be told as we finish telling the rest of our story.

I have received feedback from some of our more trusted readers that our story has become redundant, and too wordy.  Both are true.  What we have written so far will ultimately be revised and cut back, as the book we eventually hope to publish is getting too long.  We will be working to conclude the story of Robin’s meltdown year in shorter, hopefully more frequent posts, as soon as possible.

We have re-thought the plan for Part Two of our book.  While we originally thought we would outline six steps to overcoming severe mental illness which could be applied to anyone dealing with these issues, we have realized we need to stay focused on what happened specifically for Robin.  Her story remains an extraordinary example of transformation from complete despair, to a fulfilling life of stability and meaning.  Simply telling the details of Robin’s journey will be informative…to readers suffering from their own symptoms of mental illness, to psychotherapists who treat clients with mental illness, and to family members of people struggling with bipolar disorder or other issues.

Blogging, for many people, happens in a vacuum.  We bloggers put ourselves out to the universe of readers, with no idea how those readers feel about what we are writing.  As Robin and I struggle to get back on track with the telling of our story, we ask that anyone who is still interested in reading it please comment about, or “like” this update, or send me an email at sharon.devinney@gmail.com.  It would be helpful for us to know how large our audience is at this point.  And, as always, we welcome all feedback, constructive or otherwise.

Please bear with us, and stay tuned…we will be back soon.

Advertisements

About Sharon DeVinney, Ph.D.

Sharon DeVinney, Ph.D. completed her doctoral degree in clinical psychology at Purdue University. She spent ten years doing full-time clinical practice at a community mental health center with primarily adults. She then spent eight years working as an administrator at that same community mental health center while continuing to maintain a small caseload of therapy clients. She now provides clinical services in long-term care facilities in addition to writing and spending as much time as possible with the people she loves.
This entry was posted in Note to Readers. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to An Update for the Readers of Despair to Deliverance

1. Rhoda Massanari says:

Sharon, I’ve missed your blog and so sorry to hear about the tendonitis. Have you tried the Ap Dragon, it might be helpful as you continue to do physical therapy. I’m looking forward to your next installment!💖😘💖

• Hey Rhoda–So nice to hear from you! Yes, I’ve been using Dragon (speech recognition software) for years to write the reports I have to do for work, and more recently for my other work related paperwork as well. It helps tremendously, but still requires editing…i.e., using the keyboard, which causes pain. I’ve been doing what I need to do to get my job related stuff done, pain or not. Blogging is a luxury. I appreciate your reading, and as always your support!

2. Chris lonz says:

Looking forward to the continuation of Robin’s story. Hope you heal quickly.

3. Terri Huegel says:

I also am looking forward to the continuation. Get better soon!

4. Jay says:

Was relieved to see this post but also sad that you’re struggling with an injury. I really love the work you’re both doing so please keep it up (and keep your arm down too!) 🙂

5. Aden Ng says:

Hey you two, good to see you’ve not stopped writing. Guess I should be doing the same too. Probably. Maybe. Eh, we’ll see. But if you need any help with proofreading or editing to take an edge off the injury, you know where to find me. Looking forward to your next chapters.

6. Two Moms says:

This story has been so helpful to me!

7. hope things get better. wishing you a great 2015

8. Thanks so much! We appreciate your support.

9. I’ve been following your blog I think since you started it. I knew there was a reason you needed to take time off. I’m sorry about your tendonitis. Feel better soon and I hope you both enjoy bringing in the New Year.

I’m looking forward to the next installment. Hugs to you, Eva

10. Amanda says:

I don’t think your story is redundant or too wordy! It is interesting, and I especially like the details. Take the time you need. Your readers aren’t going anywhere. We will happily make our way back here when we are alerted to a new post! Best to you both.

• Amanda–You have no idea how helpful it is (or maybe you do) to have these words of support and validation come from cyberspace onto my phone, out of the blue. We so appreciate you and all of our loyal readers who understand the value of telling Robin’s story in detail. I am actually working on the next post and hope to finish and publish it in the next few days. Holidays are over, my arm is getting better slowly, and it is time to get back to it! Thanks so much for your support. Sharon

11. I agree with Amanda, I love the details. I’ve missed your posts. So glad you’re back and sorry for your loss. Thank you for the like which brought me back to your blog ❤

• Thank you so much for the feedback…it is so helpful. Thanks for the condolences. My mother-in-law was 93, moderately demented and made it very clear she was ready to die. She died peacefully, with my husband and I both there (he is an only child, and we were her only family). We are adjusting to life without her, and I am ready to get back to focusing on both writing, and reading blogs I have missed. I look forward to getting caught up on yours!

12. anchorrock4 says:

Keep up the good work. Sorry about your illness.

13. anchorrock4 says:

Your courage is contagious. Thank you.

14. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement!

15. So sorry for your loss. I hope your physical therapy helps you heal up well! I look forward to reading more of your posts!

16. So sorry to hear of your loss of your mother in law and your tendonitis. I wish you and Robin the best as you balance your priorities and adjust to life changes and challenges. Maintaining our own health – physical, mental, and spiritual – is important.

17. Thanks so much for coming back to our blog. You have been one of our faithful readers. Yes, I miss “Peaches,” my delightfully funny and unfortunately demented mother-in-law. Being so intimately involved with her care for so many years means the void left for my husband and I by her absence is especially big. We take comfort in the fact that she was completely clear about being ready to move on to “a bigger and better place.” I am healing in all ways after being in such a stressful situation with her for the last five years or so. Robin is working on her writing for Part Two of our book, which will be her telling the story of her own recovery following her “meltdown” year, with commentary by me. I will have my next post (still much left to say about how Robin finally got stabilized) for Part One done soon. Hope you keep reading!

18. Sorry for your loss AND for your injury. PT should work well. Hope you feel better soon. I, too, did not find your story wordy or redundant. Telling this kind of story is heavy slogging. Wishing you the best and look forward to more posts– I wondered what happened to you. Keep at it, Ellen

19. If you need help running things by someone, I offer my eyes, limited as they may be.

• Wow! What a generous offer. I don’t know if it worked this way for you when you wrote your book, but Robin and I are just trying at this point to get the story told. The blog is helping significantly because we get a lot of support and encouragement, and some feedback, and the need to keep the blog posts coming is motivating. Thank you for being one of our loyal supporters! Once we finish telling the story there will be a lot of editing to do in order to get it to book form (for example, it is getting very long…and we have lots more to say). Robin and I will be looking for people to read through a draft of the final book at some point. If you are willing at that time, we’ll gratefully take you up on your offer. I hope you are doing well, and that your great book is selling lots of copies!